Creating a Custom Dialog in HotDocs
Dialogs are an excellent way to customise a HotDocs interview, and present your questions to users in a more intuitive, organised way.
So here’s a quick way to create a custom dialog and add in a variable.
First we need to create a dialog:
- Go to your template and click the Component Manager button. Component Managerwill then appear.
- Then click the Components drop-down button and select Dialogs from the list. The component list is filtered to show only dialogs. (Don’t worry – the list will be empty as you haven’t created any dialogs yet.)
- Now click the New Component button and the Dialog Editor will appear.
- Type a name into Dialog name box (e.g. Employee Information).
- In the Components list, click on the first Component you would like to add (e.g. Employee Name) and drag it to the Contents box.
- Then drag the second Component you would like to add (e.g. Employee Gender) from the Components list to the Contents box.
- Nearly done – click Test. A test assembly window will appear. Your newly created dialog looks exactly the way it will when it is displayed during the interview.
- Close the test assembly window, and then click OK at the Dialog Editor. The dialog Employee Information is now complete.
Congratulations you’ve just created your first Dialog and added in a Variable